Monday, July 8, 2013

Marmalade Monday

I have a Bucket List and one of the absolute musts on it is a visit to River Cottage on the Devon/Dorset border in the south of England. In fact I'll have to move to England for at least a year because I want to experience River Cottage HQ in all four seasons, including the four day cookery course in Spring, a Summer Nights dining experience, the Autumn Fair and of course, Christmas. Oh sweet Mary Jane, definitely Christmas!!!

I've long loved the River Cottage series and regularly have it playing on my iPad in the kitchen while I'm cooking. Always go to the website for recipes and inspiration. Love Hugh and his team! River Cottage Australia has recently started on the Lifestyle channel and the farm where it's filmed is just a few hours from here. Perhaps one day I'll take a meandering drive down to Tilba and have a sticky beak. Still, River Cottage HQ is where I really want to be!

Oranges are in season at the moment and I couldn't resist getting a 3kg bag at the Farmers Market, perfect for marmalade and spiced pickled oranges. River Cottage has a fab recipe for Seville Orange Marmalade.

With Harry's help I made a batch.

Prep started the night before with juicing the oranges, finely shredding the peel and letting it soak in a bowl overnight.

Then simmering on a low heat for a couple of hours...

While the peel was cooking there was time to let the chooks out of the henhouse for a scratch around the rosemary bushes and pick some lemons off the tree.

Squeeze the lemons...

Then, when the peel had softened and reduced by a third, add the sugar & lemon juice, bring to a rapid boil and stir, stir, stir for approx twenty minutes...or until it reached setting point.

Fill sterilised jars, seal and there you have it!

Marmalade Monday

These beauties can be stored for two years but I've yet to see a bottle hang around unopened for that long.

Happy Days xxx

 

2 comments:

  1. this looks like a lovely thing to do- I've always wanted to have a lemon tree in the garden and those jam jar labels are gorgeous! And I too really want to visit River Cottage HQ, I'm a big fan!
    katie xx
    www.katieskitchenjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Mecca of Foodies!

      My goodness your blog makes me drool Katie! I'm gong to give the courgette & lime cake a whirl!

      Cheers Em

      Delete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx