Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Two Year Cancerversary

Time to pop the champagne peeps, today is my two year cancerversary!

 

 

 

This time two years ago my GP called and asked me if I was sitting down. It was the moment I knew that my life would be forever changed. It was terrifying. Gut wrenchingly terrifying. The fear of what was to come took my breath away. I was so frightened that my diagnosis meant my boys would lose their mother.

But that was two years ago. Today, I find myself at the end of that dark tunnel...infinitely changed.

I am mentally stronger but physically weaker. I am heartstrong but wary of being overly confident. I'm hopeful for the future but still on notice for cancer's return. I am deeply grateful that two years on I am still here, able to mother my babies, love my husband, run my home, see my friends and family and live creatively.

 

I am popping down to Melbourne on Friday for a very special weekend with my Cancer Clique girlfriends.

It's been a privilege to get to know these amazing women over the last 7 months, sharing experiences with others who truly understand because they've walked, or are still walking, the same path. It is uplifting and heartbreaking in equal measure. A safe space to vent frustrations & fears, a place to support and strengthen. Made all the sweeter by the type of wicked humour that has me regularly snorting coffee from my nose. (Note to self, avoid drinking hot beverages while reading Cancer Clique threads on Facebook.)

 

This weekend away is my birthday present from Hubby. Love that man!!! I'm looking forward to ditching the Mummy uniform and dressing up like a lady to indulge in high tea at The Windsor. I'm eagerly anticipating a big hit of Melbourne coffee and some long lazy breakfasts along Southbank. I'm looking forward to some child free shopping and time to myself to trawl any art gallery or museum that takes my fancy. But most of all, I'm looking forward to giving each and everyone of these beautiful women a great big hug hello.

 

I'm official photographer for the weekend so be prepared for the mother of all posts when I get back.

 

Here's cheers to life and living and kicking cancer's ass all the way to kingdom come!

 

xx Em

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. "I am mentally stronger but physically weaker. I am heartstrong but wary of being overly confident. I'm hopeful for the future but still on notice for cancer's return. " You nailed it Em, perfectly. So looking forward to meeting you in just a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strongest lil lady I ever did see! Em, you're so amazing - enjoy this bday prezzie away like a rock star :)

    xox
    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx