Sunday, February 22, 2015

Nashi Pear, Ginger and Vanilla Bean Jam

Today's jam recipe is brought to you by the letter D for Divine!

 

A couple of weeks ago we visited our friend's farm and while we were there, the kids filled a gigantic bag with beautiful Nashi pears. They had a ball in the orchard with the guinea fowl fussing and curious cows coming over to say hello. Aside from devouring nashis as a juicy snack when fresh or sliced up and thrown in salads, stir fries & desserts, they make great jam.

 

 

 

 

I'm finally finding my confidence in jam making and ditched the recipe book to create my own. I decided to make a batch with ginger and vanilla bean and it turned out to be a winning combination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ingredients

 

1kg of cored & diced Nashi Pears

1kg jam setting sugar

1/2 a lemon

2 Tbsp of fresh ginger, finely grated.

2-3 vanilla bean pods

 

 

Directions

 

Pop a small plate in the freezer.

Place pears and sugar in a large heavy based saucepan and stir through.

Let sit for an hour to macerate before adding a squeeze of lemon juice and warm over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.

Add ginger and split vanilla beans to the pot.

Bring to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer, stirring regularly to prevent burning the sugar.

When the jam has thickened pop a tsp of mixture onto the plate from the freezer, place back in freezer for a few minutes then press finger into mix, if it wrinkles then it's set.

Spoon into warm sterilised jars, including the vanilla bean pods, seal and flip upside down for 30 seconds before turning right way up. Store in a cool dark place and consume within 12 months.

 

 

 
 
I love how the amber syrup is flecked with those tiny black vanilla bean seeds.
A little bit of warmth, spice and sweetness captured in glass.
 
 

 

 

Enjoy xx Em

 

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I found your recipe. I have scored a bag of the nashis but they are not to my taste. Somehow things one might not eat fresh and raw always turn out beautifully as a preserve of some sort. I shall definitely give your recipe a go as the combinations are very appealing.
    A friend of mine had a bumper crop of quinces a couple of years ago and spread the love. I combined them with apples to make the most divine apple and quince jelly. The more recipes to save fruit the better, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I found this recipe. We have inherited a nashi pear tree at our new home & this not only tastes lovely but easy too thank you

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx