Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Brain Drain

No, this post isn't about the dumbing down of Australia because our best and brightest are being driven overseas thanks to severe funding cuts by the government. That's a whole other post...science...pffft who needs THAT to be a successful, balanced society!

 

Rather, I received the results of my brain scan last Monday.

 

 

 

The good news is that there's no tumour, making my oncologist very happy. Woot!!! Cancer you can kiss my ass! Actually, no, strike that...leave my ass the hell alone!

 

What showed up, however, was a small arachnoid cyst on my posterior fossa (the back of my brain). Apparently it's something I've had my whole life and never known about because, until recently, it's been asymptomatic. The last couple of months of nagging headaches and random hits of vertigo seem to indicate that perhaps something has changed. The position of the cyst is in the area of the brain that controls balance. So, my GP has arranged a consult with a neurosurgeon. If he thinks the cyst needs to be drained then I'll be having a spot of brain surgery.

 

I'm so incredibly relieved that it's not cancer. I'm also grateful that if it is the cyst that is causing these issues, then surgery can fix it. I cope better with illness if I know what is causing it and what can be done to resolve it. It's the unknown that unravels me and causes my bottom lip to wibble. So, now it's a case of waiting for the neurosurgeon's rooms to call and let me know what date my consult is, have an MRI to get a better look and go from there.

 

Boob and brain surgery, let's hope they don't get it mixed up and I find myself with a drained boob and a silicone implant in my brain.

 

xx Em.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx