Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Coffee Break


I have really fallen off the blogging wagon lately. Constantly tapping out blog posts in my head but when I finally get a chance to sit down I go blank...or start micro napping. It feels like we've had one flu after another for the last couple of months and Winter lurgies have really messed with my writing mojo.


Its a right pain because I've got so much to catch up on...starting with the news that my surgery has finally been locked in for August 7th. I had geared myself up to have it done by April but as is the way, the timeframe I was given came and went and the first half of the year disappeared with me left in a kind of limbo. The stress of waiting has gradually increased and I've found that the longer the wait the more I started doubting my decision to have my left breast removed. Now the wait is over and as much as it grieves me to lose my remaining healthy breast, I still feel that that it's the right decision for me. I'm taking the opportunity to be proactive against this hideous disease. The sadness of losing is deep but the peace of mind from getting rid of what feels like a ticking time bomb balances the loss. The next two weeks will be busy with preparation. Stay tuned folks.


For the past six months we've been renovating our rumpus room. It's been a 'fits and starts' kind of affair trying to get things done with two small boys underfoot but we managed to strip it back to the bare bones, insulate, plaster, paint and lay a new floating floor.


We thought that we'd leave our footprints under the new floorboards for someone else to discover in the future, should they give this dear little cottage another makeover.
Hubby did most of the hard graft and I jumped in halfway through. I freely admit that I'm a pretty poor plasterer and only a slightly better painter but I think that it has turned out ok given that it was my first big DIY using my dodgy right arm. It does the job, just don't look too closely at the walls.
With a comfy leather couch, bookshelves, a bench seat and coat hooks, it's become a lovely comforting library and guest room. The house feels complete and we love the space.
The winter school hols were quite eventful.
I managed to escape north for a long weekend with my sister, back home to the Sunshine Coast. It was a wonderfully laid back trip catching up with family and friends.
There was a LOT of laughing, a LOT of coffee and cuddles and good food and bubbles and a LOT of sunshine and sleep.
It was just what I needed...time away to regroup and reconnect.




I came home to my beautiful boys and my nieces & sister-in-law who came down for the first week of school hols. Unfortunately the Jackman copped a nasty flu while I was away and his asthma was rife. I knew as soon as I walked in the door that it was going to be a long night and sure enough it was. I found myself taking Jack up to the ER in the freezing pre-dawn hours for some oxygen and steroids because the ventolin just wasn't cutting it. We were home by lunch time and I spent the rest of the week trying to keep him quiet while Margie and the girls took Harry on day trips to places like Parliament House and the Acorn Playground at the Arboretum.




The second week of school hols was fairly quiet with the exception of a day trip north to Goulburn. We took in the Lynley Dodd - Hairy MacLary Retrospective at the Goulburn Regional Gallery which was divine.



Followed by a tour of the Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre.



There was an icy wind and it drizzled with rain the whole time but the boys were blissfully unaware...they were far too busy wandering around, in, on and under gigantic old locomotives in the roundhouse.


Enough for now...time to feed the hungry herd.


xx Em




Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx